Author Reddit AMA Guide
Reddit is a community-driven, social networking service and news website where registered community members can submit content, such as text posts or direct links. Only registered users can then vote submissions “up” or “down” to organize the posts and determine their position on the site’s pages. Content entries are organized by areas of interest called “subreddits.” Redditors create, reply and vote on topic “threads” created by other Redditors.
What is an AMA?
AMA stands for “Ask Me Anything.” In the Reddit-sphere, AMAs are a place for anyone (but preferably experts in a field) to make themselves available for questions from Reddit’s 5 million AMA followers.
What is an IAmA?
IAmA stands for “I am a [fill in blank]” and is usually followed by an AMA. IAmAs are predominantly used by experts, prominent figures or celebrities to open up discussion with Reddit community. You simply self-identify your experience, what you do or who you are, and then community members pose questions based on your field of expertise. Here’s an example from one of our authors:
Why are they important?
Reddit is quickly becoming a top source for news and benefits from both the viral nature of social media and the growing reliance upon crowd-sourcing information for developing news stories. AMAs and IAmAs allow you to expand your online discoverability while demonstrating expertise and knowledge in a particular field or topic of discussion.
How to set up a Reddit account:
To create a Reddit account, go to http://www.reddit.com/register where you will be prompted to create a username, add an email account (for validation, notifications and replies) and then a password. From there you can update your profile with links, a biopic, and any other information including keywords.
How to create an AMA:
Once logged in, go to http://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/ and you’ll see a prompt on the right side bar to “Submit a new text post.” There you enter title, any additional text, and submit. Make sure to keep the “send replies to my inbox” option checked, so you’ll receive email notifications when someone replies to your AMA thread.
*NOTE: Reddit Admins and users are very wary of AMA’s that are not responded to within 45 minutes. It’s a best practice to setup an AMA thread a mere 45 mintues or sooner before you make yourself available to answer questions otherwise your thread may be taken down or avoided by community members.*
Once logged in, go to http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA where you have the option to “Submit an AMA.” There you enter a brief “IAmA [Blank] AMA!” along with any additional text and submit. Make sure to keep the “send replies to my inbox” option checked, so you’ll receive email notifications when someone replies to your thread.
Promoting your AMA/IAmA on SciTech Connect:
Timing is everything with an AMA, but a lot of prep work can be done prior to your AMA to build awareness about it at SciTech Connect. If you have a AMA/IAmA topic in mind, please notify Stephen Fiedler and he will be happy creating a landing page including the topic you will cover, information about you and your book and links to your book(s) on the Elsevier store. He will also promote your Reddit AMA in the leadup to, and during the actual AMA on our social media channels, totally 1.4 million total followers.
Here is an example of a promoted AMA by one of our computer science authors.
Author Connect Archives
- SciTech Connect: Elsevier’s Author Blog Helps Increase Online Discoverability
- Partnerships: How We Help Users Find Your Books
- eBook Platforms: Discoverability in the Age of ‘Search’ on Online Retailers and Library Aggregators
- Discoverability: Irked by Wikipedia Errors? Here’s How to Fix Them
- Global Campaigns: Localizing Content to Expand International Visibility of Your Book
- Discoverability: How Author Identification Can Reduce Name Ambiguity
- Discoverability: 5 Easy Ways to Promote Your Elsevier Store Book Page to Your Network
- Discoverability: SEOwning Your Blog Posts
- SciTech Connect Is Quickly Growing in Popularity – Why We Have Elsevier Authors to Thank
- Want Your Work Discovered in International Markets? Global Amazon Author Pages Can Help
- Merging Websites to Improve User Experience and Discovery
- Top 10 Author FAQs about Book Metadata and How It Impacts Your Book
- Publicity: So Your Book Won an Award! Now What?
- Publicity: Making ElsevierConnect Work for You
- Publicity: Put Your Book’s Review to Work
- Publicity: How Industry Influencers Can Promote Your Book
- Publicity: Write for Elsevier Connect - Elsevier's "60 Minutes"
- Publicity: How to Get Your Book the Exposure You Want
- Publicity: What Makes Your Book Worthy of an Award Nomination? What We're Winning These Days and Why
- Our Reference Modules Are Receiving Rave Reviews – Here’s Why They Offer Powerful Benefits for Researchers and Authors
- How Elsevier Reaches the World’s Most Skeptical Audience
- Top Author FAQs about Book Reviews & Awards—An Author’s Guide to the Process
- Elsevier Welcomes the Authors of Woodhead Publishing and Gulf Publishing into the Family!
- Publishing: Faster Delivery of Time-Sensitive Content
- eBook Forums: A Place for Librarians to Discuss Market Trends and New Opportunities
- Intellectual Property: Combatting Digital Piracy
- Publishing: Choosing the Best Format for Your Book
- Publishing: Free Author Workshop Videos to Help Navigate the Publishing Process
- Publishing: How eBooks are Produced and Distributed
- Publishing: An Author’s Perspective on How to Write a Successful Single-Authored Book
- Publishing Campus: A New Website Featuring Free Access to Online Lectures, Interactive Training, and Professional Advice
- Mendeley: A New and Easy Way to Manage Your Research
- Ready to Write Again? How to Write a Book Proposal That Gets Reviewed, Approved, and Published
- An Inside Look at the 40+ People Behind Your Book
- Publishing: Why Write a Major Reference Work Article
- Get to Know an Acquisitions Editor: Marisa LaFleur
- 5 Simple Tips To Minimize Edits To Your Book Chapter
- Value of Books
- Amazon: How Author Pages Influence Buyers’ Purchasing Decisions
- Amazon: Short-Term Discount Promotions – Extending the Life of Older Content
- Discoverability: Driving Readership of Your Book through Google Books and Google Play
- Channel Partners: Expanding Your Book’s Reach Through New Partnerships
- Amazon: 3 Simple Tips for Optimizing Your Amazon Author Page
- Anatomy of an Amazon Product Detail Page for Elsevier Books
- ScienceDirect: Changing the Way Libraries and Their Researchers Find, Buy, and Interact With Reference Content
- ScienceDirect: How Elsevier Keeps Your Librarian Informed
- ScienceDirect: New Visual Learning Tools Change How Readers Consume Information
- ScienceDirect: A New, Improved Mobile Experience Is Here
- ScienceDirect: New Content Innovations Are Garnering Significant Praise
- An Introduction to Key Concepts in Medicinal Chemistry - Free Download
- Take Your Research on the Road This Summer with Mobile Optimized Book Chapters on ScienceDirect
- Primer for Hacking and Pentesting - Syngress Sampler to Introduce Concepts and Expertise
- Facing Contemporary Challenges in Librarianship Download
- Fact-Based Analytics Empower Librarians to Fill In Content Gaps
- A Student’s Path to Discovering Your Book on ScienceDirect
- Win a Free Year of Your Choice of Elsevier Reference Module
- Free Year of Reference Module Contest Rules
- 5 New Videos That Provide Time-Saving Tips for Your Research
- Social Media: Tweet, Tweet - Elsevier Embraces Twitter
- LinkedIn: Optimizing Your Professional Profile
- Facebook: Optimize Your Profile and Professional Reach
- Reddit: Expand Your Online Discoverability and Demonstrate Your Expertise
- LinkedIn: Quick Tips on How to Promote Your Book
- Twitter: Make Yourself Discoverable and Become an Influencer in Your Field
Tradeshows & Conferences
- Tradeshows & Conferences: A Platform to Promote Your Book
- Tradeshows & Conferences: Staying Connected with Industry Professionals, Academicians, Researchers, and Scientists
- Tradeshows & Conferences: Top 5 Engagement Activities, Plus a List of Upcoming Exhibits in 2015
- eBook Forums: Knowledge to “Fill in the Gaps”
- Author Connect Newsletter - September
- Author Connect Newsletter - November '13
- Author Connect Newsletter - January '14
- Author Connect Newsletter - March
- Author Connect Newsletter - May
- Author Connect Newsletter - July
- Author Connect Newsletter - September 2014
- Author Connect: Top 10 Most Read Articles!
- Author Connect Newsletter - November 2014