Tradeshows & Conferences: Top 5 Engagement Activities, Plus a List of Upcoming Exhibits in 2015
Each year, Elsevier’s Science and Technology Books division has a presence at a variety of global events. These events provide us with a unique opportunity to meet with our partners, namely editors, authors, librarians, and our customers, including researchers and educators. The events we attend are carefully selected to ensure your work is in front of the right audience.
To create buzz and interact with event attendees, we participate in a number of engaging activities prior to, during, and after a show. Here are some top activities from recent events:
1) Message Board – We provided a blank canvas for SFN (Society for Neuroscientists) attendees to share the reasons they love neuroscience. By the end of the conference, we were entertained with comments that ranged from funny illustrations to thought-provoking quips – not a single line of white space was left!
2) Social Media – If you can’t attend an event, you don’t have to miss the action! Via our subject-specific social media accounts, we post event updates and share exciting news as it unfolds each day at the show.
3) Book-A-Day Giveaway – Our attendees love raffles! Each day we are at an event, we give away a book of choice. Some raffles even include a Kindle or iPad with one of our ebooks already loaded.
4) Online Author Promotion – When an author is attending an event we try to showcase them as much as possible, even if we are unable to attend. Our Virtual Booth articles posted on SciTech Connect feature event details, a list of Elsevier authors who will be hosting live sessions, and any additional information that your audience may be interested in.
5) Author Blog Posts – Oftentimes information about your book or event is best received when it comes from you, the author. Many conferences and exhibits can be pricey, yet students and researchers are eager to stay abreast topics in their field. We encourage authors to write a follow-up blog post about the event and any new information they learned while attending sessions. To write a blog post for SciTech Connect visit Elsevier’s Author Blog Info Guide and FAQ.
To drive business prior to, and throughout, an event, we typically employ a variety of marketing activities, including pre-show email campaigns, event discount codes, social media posts, banner ads on event websites, and more. To view a list of event marketing activities and examples, read our previous article Tradeshows & Conferences: A Platform to Promote Your Book.
How You Can Help Us Promote Your Book at Events
Start by contacting your editor well in advance of a meeting you are attending. If we are attending the event, we will contact you to see if you are interested in participating in booth activities or willing to write an article for SciTech Connect.
If we are not able to attend an event, your editor can still assist you by:
-Working with you to write a Virtual Booth article about the event, with a link to your book. In the article, we can provide attendees with information about specific speaking events or activities you’ll be attending.
-Providing a flyer with book description copy and ordering information that you can distribute to your contacts prior to, and/or during, an event.
-Helping you promote your event and/or book on your personal social media sites and blog.
-Contacting your group, society, or association hosting the meeting, and asking if they can make a brief mention of your event and/or book in their newsletter.
-Notifying your institution’s librarian or marketing and public relations department about your event and/or book.
Key Tradeshows and Conferences for 2015
Listed below are some key meetings we hope to see you at throughout the year. You can view a full list of the global tradeshows and conferences we’ll be attending in 2015 at elsevier.com/exhibitions.