Share this article:
Nathalie Cabrol speaks at the United Nations
On February 11, the United Nations hosted an assembly for their International Day of Women and Girls in Science. Nathalie Cabrol, who is the Director of the SETI Institute and an Elsevier author, was invited to speak at the assembly.
According to Rebecca McDonald, Head of Communications and Outreach at the SETI Institute, “In her speech, Nathalie recognized the challenges many women face in their pursuit of a career in science. Some of these challenges include delaying or forgoing parenthood, harassment, and cultural and societal biases. Nathalie emphasized the importance of equity in terms of access to education and career opportunities, as well as pay and recognition for talent and work.”
Watch her full speech below or read the transcript.
About Nathalie’s books:
- Edited by the lead on a NASA project that searches for habitability and life on Mars leading to the Mars 2020 mission
- Presents the evidence, questions and answers we have today (including a summary of the current state of knowledge in advance of the ESA ExoMars and NASA Mars 2020 missions)
- Includes contributions from authors directly involved in past, current and upcoming Mars missions
- Provides key information as to how Mars rovers, such as ExoMars and Mars 2020, will address the search for life on Mars with their instrumentation
- First review on the subject by worldwide leading authorities in the field
- New studies with most recent data, new images, figures, and maps
- Most recent results from research in terrestrial analogs
Earth & Environmental Science
The fields of Earth science, planetary sciences, and environmental science encompass disciplines critical to the future of our world and its inhabitants. Our well-being depends on a thorough understanding of air and water resources, soil chemistry, atmospheric dynamics, geology, and geochemistry, along with a myriad of other aspects of the environment we live in. Elsevier supports the efforts of researchers and scholars in these areas with content that meets their cross-disciplinary needs: journals, books, eBooks, and online tools that span computer science, chemistry, energy, engineering, biology, agronomy, ecology, environmental impact and many other topics fundamental to the study of our world. Learn more about our Earth and Environmental Science books here.