Share this article:
2019: Another Award-Winning Year for Elsevier Titles
As 2019 draws to a close, it’s time to recap the many different ways in which our titles have been recognized throughout the year. We’re always excited to see our titles honored for excellence, both in large, multi-topic competitions and by more narrowly focused organizations. In all, 10 of our books won awards this year, in addition to three highly commended titles and eight finalists. Let’s take a closer look at the titles acknowledged in competition.
High Commendations from the British Medical Association
The British Medical Association (BMA) annually recognizes outstanding contributions to medical literature, with prestigious awards in 20 categories, plus five Special Prizes. Three books from the Academic Press imprint received High Commendation in the 2019 awards judging, in the following categories:
- Human Reproductive and Prenatal Genetics, 1st Edition, edited by Peter Leung and Jie Qiao, offers cutting-edge research from a detailed molecular, cellular, and transnational perspective, making it one of the most comprehensive and useful books available on this topic.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT): Applied Genomics in Prenatal Screening and Diagnosis, 1st Edition, edited by Lieve Page-Christiaens and Hanns-Georg Klein, is the first authoritative volume on cell-free NIPT methods, with full-color imagery enhancing its excellent illustrations.
- Pathology: Atlas of Hematopathology: Morphology, Immunophenotype, Cytogenetics and Molecular Approaches, 2nd Edition by Faramarz Naeim, P. Rao, Sophie Song, and Ryan Phan, is an invaluable resource for clinicians, fellows,
Elsevier has a long and successful publishing history, thanks to talented authors and editors who enable us to bring quality products to professionals and institutions worldwide. Once again, we want to congratulate our 2019 award winners; you make us extremely proud!
In addition to these three Highly Commended Academic Press titles, Elsevier received 33 wins for health science books published under its Elsevier imprint, including seven first prizes.
Four Prestigious Awards from Textbook & Academic Authors Association
For 20+ years, the Textbook & Academic Authors Association (TAA) annual Textbook Awards program has supported both emerging and veteran textbook and academic authors. This year, TAA presented its William Holmes McGuffey Longevity Award, recognizing textbooks which have maintained their excellence over time, remained in print for at least 15 years and continue to sell new copies, to Fundamentals of Weed Science, 5th Edition by Robert L. Zimdahl. First published in 1993 by Academic Press, this edition expands coverage of ethnobotany, the specific identity and role of invasive weed species, organic agriculture, and herbicide resistance in genetically modified crops.
TAA also honored three Elsevier titles with its Textbook Excellence Award (aka”Texty”), given for excellence in current textbooks and learning materials. This year’s Texty winners were:
- Biological Inorganic Chemistry: A New Introduction to Molecular Structure and Function, 3rd Edition by Robert Crichton, the second Texty award for this title published by Academic Press
- Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 6th Edition by John Hennessy and David Patterson, a Morgan Kaufmann imprint and a staple of classrooms for more than 20 years
- Fundamentals of Cognitive Neuroscience: A Beginner’s Guide, 2nd Edition by Nicole Gage and Bernard Baars, an accessible, step-by-step resource for novices in the field and an Academic Press imprint.
Association of American Publishers Makes Winners Out of Four New Books
Since 1977, the Association of American Publishers (AAP) has selected the best new books in 49 subject categories ranging from hard sciences to humanities. It gave 2019 PROSE Awards to Elsevier titles in four categories, with an additional eight titles from Elsevier selected as finalists. The winners were:
- Textbook/Biological and Life Sciences: Pathology of Wildlife and Zoo Animals Cover of Pathology of Wildlife and Zoo Animals by Karen Terio, Denise McAloose and Judy St. Leger (Academic Press)
- Textbook/Clinical Science: Human Biochemistry by Gerald Litwack (Academic Press)
- Chemistry and Physics: Physical Chemistry of Gas-Liquid Interfaces by Jennifer Faust and J.E. House (Elsevier)
- Engineering and Technology: Space Safety and Human Performance by Tommaso Sgobba, Barbara Kanki, Jean-Francois Clervoy and Gro Sandal (Butterworth-Heinemann)
Book on Emerging Discipline Recognized by Earth Science Editors
Geoheritage: Assessment, Protection, and Management, edited by Emmanuel Reynard and José Brilha, received the 2019 Award for Outstanding Publication from the Association of Earth Science Editors. One book receives this award each year, for outstanding contributions to geoscience publishing that stimulate new discoveries and the advancement of the field. An Elsevier imprint, this year’s winner is the first and only reference book to cover geoconservation, geotourism, and geoparks. It also covers the relationship of geoheritage to other subjects such as landscapes, conservation, and tourism.
Book Offering Solutions to Red Wine Production Challenges Earns OIV Award
The International Organisation of Vine and Wine, a technical and scientific intergovernmental organization recognized for its works concerning vines, wine, wine-based beverages, table grapes, raisins and other vine-based products, created the OIV Awards in 1930 to celebrate new publications on wine, wine technology, viticulture, enology-wine technology, wine economy and sustainability. This year, the organization selected Red Wine Technology, edited by Antonio Morata, for its OIV Award in the category of Enology. An Academic Press imprint, this book is a quick reference guide for anyone looking for innovative strategies to increase and improve overall red wine production…as well as insights on new technologies still under development.
More Award-Winning Titles on the Way
Elsevier has a long and successful publishing history, thanks to talented authors and editors who enable us to bring quality products to professionals and institutions worldwide. Given this year’s inspiring results, we’ve already begun the process of nominating Elsevier titles for next year’s awards. You can find the winning books – and many more – on our site. Once again, we want to congratulate our 2019 award winners; you make us extremely proud!
Stay up-to-date on the latest news and announcements from Elsevier. Learn about new product launches, programs and additions to our extensive list of books, journals and publisher tools.